Digital 2022 global overview
DataReportal recently published its Digital 2022: Global Overview report, which reveals that the digitally connected world continues to grow faster than it did before the pandemic.
Key insights included:
- Global internet users have climbed to 4.95 billion at the start of 2022, with internet penetration now standing at 62.5% of the world’s total population. Data shows that internet users have grown by 192 million (+4.0%) over the past year.
- 'Keeping up-to-date with news and events’ is the third most selected reason why people use the internet, behind only ‘finding information’ and ‘staying in touch with friends and family.
- Video is very popular. ‘Watching videos, TV and movies’ is the fourth most selected use of the internet with 92% of internet users aged 16-64 watching video on the internet once a week.
- 5% of internet users aged 16-64 watch sports videos (clips or highlights) once a week.
- There were 230 billion app downloads in 2021, increasing 5.5% year on year.
- $465.5 billion was spent on digital advertising in 2021. $92 billion was spent on video ads, increasing 21% year on year.
These insights highlight the importance of ensuring your brand has a comprehensive digital presence, but with the need to remember relevance. To stand out in the crowded sports media landscape, sports organisations need to create digital messages and experiences that reflect their true values and remain relevant to their fans and audiences.
This is where Story10 could help. With our unique global distribution network of owned and earned channels, we can put your relevant, authentic content in front of engaged audiences on any platform, in any region, in real-time.